Refurbishing an old art piece

I (Mark) have an old watercolor art from my grandfather. It was framed in Japan, I’m guessing, about 20 years ago. After bringing home another art piece where I used Museum Glass, I felt that this really needed a glass upgrade.

When I took it down and examined the glass, I noticed there was a small crack in it, so at this point there was no question that I would need to replace it. And it would be a chance to examine how the piece was framed.

As I’ve worked on older pieces that customers have brought it from time to time, I’ve found it interesting and educational to learn how they were framed. And now I was about to do it with one of my own pieces.

I begin with before and after photos comparing how Museum Glass almost entirely eliminates reflections. And then I have a series of photos during the refurbishing process and some brief notes about my observations.

Before, with regular glass and a distracting amount of reflections
After, with museum glass
Standard glass – don’t think it was UV blocking
Hanging hardware was cotton twine
Art fit into the plastic pieces, “mat” was cloth on wood
The “fillet” as actually just the plastic
There was indeed UV caused fading (next photo might show it better)
All the parts, disassembled
Reassembled, with museum glass
Dust blocking paper on the back, and new hanging hardware
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s